Monday 19 September 2011

Anything Funny about Belgium?


Today I tried to find jokes about Belgians, and actually didn’t find any that really were funny. I guess it is just a sign that out of this boring nation you can’t even make funny jokes about, or I have very bad sense of humour. Have to say I really doubt the latter, even though recently I haven’t been on my “funniest” mood.

I have now lived in this country for three years, my first year I lived in a small town called Mechelen, which was very bad choice to live in. A single person who doesn’t know anyone in the country should never move to a small town full of Belgian families that do not mingle with the scary foreigners. Ok, in Mechelen there also live other foreigners, but they are other kind of foreigners that Belgians do not like and they stay pretty much to themselves as well.

Then the last two years I have lived in Brussels, which is probably the ugliest capital in the world, filled with foreigners; mainly EU people & north Africans. Once when I asked in a bar from a couple that where they come from, I got a reply that “we come from here” meaning Belgium, have to say that I was very surprised about that answer. So based on that there are some real Belgians in Brussels, but you really get used to the fact that people who talk to you in a bar in here are foreigners. In general the locals are not interested in meeting new people; and they tend to stay with their old friends and normally do not move further than 15 kilometres from their parents.

I think this nation is even more introvert than my own nation. Though, I don’t know how it is to be a foreigner in Finland and how easily you make local friends there, but at least when Finns are drunk then they are very social and find themselves talking fluent (or “fluent”) English. But what does Belgians; they don’t even ever get drunk! They just drink their glass or two wine, talk about politics and then head home for steak and fries.

Just thinking, that I tend to spend all my free time out of the country. And that is the great thing about Belgium (yes I am just about to say something positive about this tiny country!); it is very easy to travel from here and thanks to its location you can fly almost anywhere in Europe within max two hours. In addition you can take a train to London, Paris, Cologne, Amsterdam, Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, etc. 

In October I will be taking the train first to Amsterdam and later to Luxembourg - can't wait!!!


..and here's an example of a joke that i found earlier today about Belgians..

A Belgian came into a bar and ordered a beer. The waiter put a coaster and a
beer on the table.
Ten minutes later the Belgian ordered another beer. The waiter brought him
the beer and saw that the coaster had disappeared. So he fetched another
one..
Ten minutes later, another beer. And again the coaster was missing. This
time the waiter decided he would not lay down another coaster..
- "Hey" the Belgian said, "where's my cookie ?"

1 comment: