Sunday 2 October 2011

Happy Thoughts


I’ve been in good mood for last week and half or bit longer I think. Not sure if it’s the endorphins that I get from my training, travel plans or shopping. Those three things just keep this girl going, with a smile on her face.

I also like gifts very much, giving and receiving. Usually they are the most fun when they come totally unexpectedly. Then the giver has thought about the receiver, not because of Christmas or birthday or another occasion, but just because! Now I actually just finished knitting a present to a friend, as a surprise. I am quite happy about the result, as I haven’t been knitting anything for a long time. Now I’ve made a gift that has part of me and I hope the receiver will be positively surprised.  

Yesterday I spent some time in the city of Antwerp to shop, as I needed a pair of walking shoes that I can wear with skirts. You know, usually shoes that goes with skirts are not really “walkable”. I know all the thoughts that any man reading this may have. This is just a fact of life; high heels just look so damn good, but they are not really for walking. Especially in this promised land of cobble stone streets. Well, anyhow I found two pairs of flat shoes that will look cute with skirts, so I bought them both. Now I’ve already been matching my skirts and tops in my mind with those shoes. I will be wearing them next week in the office and of course during the weekend in Amsterdam.

Talking about Amsterdam, I am really looking forward for my little escape from Belgium. Unlike Brussels, Amsterdam is really pretty city with picturesque canals and beautiful old buildings. In addition people there are easy going and friendly. Not sure if the people in Amsterdam are the way they are because of the widely available herb they are selling there, or the Dutch people just are much more social than their cousins here in Belgium.

Amsterdam made me think about my favourite holiday, which took place last spring. I travelled then in Norway and Sweden. The holiday started with a small exchange student reunion in Drammen Norway; it was so great to see old buddies and go out to party with them in Norway. I still am very proud of myself since I managed to communicate with Norwegians in their own language! Well I spoke Swedish with a Finnish accent and they replied in Norwegian, and then I just smiled. After catching up with exchange student friends I took a bus with one of them to Göteborg (I don’t like the English name of Göteborg, so I wont be using it) and visited her there for two nights. I was very positively surprised about the “Åbo* of Sweden” as it was very relaxed city with nice people and delicious kanelbullar (cinnamon buns). From there I headed with a Finnish friend of mine (who flew to Göteborg to meet up) by bus to Linköping to visit an old colleague of mine there, who actually has managed to escape from Belgium. And the final destination of my Scandinavian tour was Stockholm, the beautiful capital of Sweden. During this tour I just kept smiling all the time mostly thanks to old and new friends, and bit of thanks to Champagne, cider and rosé.

Just started to think what time I should get my fix of endorphines today. Seems like I'll have to wait until the evening so that the air will be cooler. The heat wave has hit Belgium and it is bit bizarre to have a temperature over 25 degrees in October.

 
*) Åbo also known as Turku is one of the biggest cities (towns) in Finland and also located on the western part of the country, and the people there do not like much people in Helsinki .. And it has come to my attention that people in Göteborg do not like the Stockholm people. Hence calling Göteborg as "Åbo of Sweden" :) .. and have to say i stole this term for my friend's uncle.

No comments:

Post a Comment