Friday 8 August 2014

Åland in the Horizon

Oops I did it again, I forgot my blog and carried on with my life.. But now again I have feeling I will get some posts done in near future.

Soon is the time for my second summer holiday week, and really can’t wait to pack my bike, board the Viking Line cruise ship and head to the beautiful island of Åland / Ahvenanmaa. I really hope this tropical weather carries on next week, but it does not look promising. I’m bit afraid that after this constant 27-30 degree weather, 20 degrees will feel freezing cold.

I’m going there with a good friend of mine, who is sort of new at biking.. Hence our trip is rather “biking holiday for beginners”, our longest bike ride during one day is around 30 km. That distance for a normal person means about 1,5 hours of biking, with her this may take half a day or a full day. Then again we’re not in hurry; we are on a HOLIDAY. And while I’m waiting for her to reach me, I can spend time taking pics, reading, crocheting or writing.

Tomorrow I will take my bike for a ride, just to make sure that it is in good enough condition to survive four days with me. Although, I need to trust that Åland is full of kind gentlemen, who can help in case I need some fixing with the bike, as I am as helpless to repair bikes as I am with repairing anything. It also seems like my friend is not that talented either, as either of us can't even fix a flat tyre on a bike. 

Really looking forward to explore this small autonomic Swedish speaking island that is part of Finland. So far I have only visited their capital Mariehamn, which is very cute small town that you can walk from one end to anohter in about 5 minutes, at least the centre. So this time we'll visit several little villages, and we’ll also take a couple little ferries from island to island. Oh and not to forget that we will have many possibilities to practice our Swedish language skills!
 

I'm actually at the airport now, as just returned a nice little brown car with cruise control to the rental place, and now I'm waiting for a bus to take me home to my parents’ place.. In other words holiday started !!


No comments:

Post a Comment